Monday 20 July 2009

Out of the Frying Pan.....

I made an appointment with Herr Direktor in Munich towards the end of my first year at The Bavarian State Opera.

I had not been allowed to sing a new production at La Scala. Milan, because I was told that I would be required to sing the tiny, offstage part of the shepherd in Tosca. "But" I protested, "there are 15 young mezzos in the Opernschule here who could do it and this is a premiere at La Scala. If I remain faithful to this house and lose opportunities like this what will happen to my career?"

"Ah, replied Herr Direktor "We have planned so many performances for you in the next season and indeed, you can stay for at least 8 years."

Three months later, I was no longer required, and all of my furniture, car and the paraphanalia of a settled home was discarded.

Loyalty seemed a disposable asset.

I went to Vienna, to the Wiener Staatsoper where the new Direktor who had seen me in Munich told me, "You can sing all of your repertoire with us."

He had resigned before I arrived.

Every time that I came in for a performance I was greeted by the press with the infights between the Government and the Direktor of the Staatsoper, the man who had engaged me, and himself also a member of the Government.

I sang well, all of my performances, but of course the plans were changed and much was cancelled.

Always watch your back when hired by an outgoing regime!

As we say in Vienna,"Take the money and run".

No comments:

Post a Comment