Saturday 5 September 2009

The Hackle of Victory.


All of the above, the previous post, was eclipsed by the conversation that I had with a young man on the train returning to London.

After a while, I realised that someone behind me was coughing and spoke about being in the army. I looked round and recognised a badge on his jacket.....and asked if I could chat a bit.

He was a 24 year old returned from Iraq and preparing to train for Afghanistan.

I asked about armour. "Why" he said, "do they spend the money training us from scratch for 6 months, and then send us out on patrol without sufficient protection, particularly on foot patrol and tank duty?"

Food:- "We get two meals, sausage and beans like you get in a tin, and the other is potato and meatballs, though there aren't many of those, and we pour hot water on it."

"Veg? Dairy? Fruit? I asked. "You need protein 3 times a day." "That's it" he said, "sometimes they top us up with Lucozade stuff." "That's a quick fix" I said, "It's not going to maintain you."

"I've seen men on the floor having given their all after a 12 hour night march and carrying 70lbs, being dragged up by the Sergeant.  A man being hit with a book against the face.........They only think about their own promotion and more money." We talked about intimidation and bullying tactics.

He had asked if he could go to his friend's funeral, but the wait to get written permission was so long that he didn't make it......"All it needed was a verbal Yes". "We have no direct contact at all with the officers, and no way to complain."

No one has told them why they are there.

"Many get very shaky"......"Do you have any help with that?.....The Padre?" "Yes, but there's a two week wait to see him."

I showed him how to meditate, to remember his deep breathing and to surround himself and his mates in a circle of light as protection, and I drew it on my card for him.

He had spent his first two weeks in Iraq in the same clothes, and his first six weeks in split boots. "The Americans are REALLY well provided, fed and armoured. They have visors to protect their eyes against the sand."

He had had to buy his own, smart blue tracksuit for himself....the one that I had noticed with his regimental crest. 

He asked about the rose stuff that I was reading, and I explained that she is given to the Heroes. "That's great!" he said and he suggested songs for a cd for them, and carried my bag off the train.

I gave him my card and a huge hug. "PLEASE remember" I said, looking straight into his eyes, "How much we all value you and the work that you are doing.....How proud we are of you and that we think of you all every day and we never, ever forget you."

He showed me his cap badge and then his hackle, proudly.

He was a wonderful young man and I truly hope that he contacts me again. 

I'd like to go out and sing for them.


2 comments:

  1. I'm real sorry to hear how bad the British soldiers have it in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just know that we feel real bad that your military is not supported more by your government.

    Jim G.
    Orange, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how it goes in the UK but don't your newspapers, TV, etc. let the public know how poorly their son's, brothers , fathers are treated?

    ReplyDelete